Your Legal Rights

Alberta Labour is the government department responsible for workplace health and safety and employment standards in the province. 

Workers may have concerns about health and safety conditions at their workplace, or about pay, vacation or other employment conditions.

Workplace Health & Safety
Occupational Health & Safety is the agency responsible for enforcement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code in the province.
If you wish to file a complaint or report unsafe working conditions, report an immediately dangerous situation or have questions about health and safety in the workplace, contact the Occupational Health & Safety Contact Centre toll-free at 1-866-415-8690, or in Edmonton at 780-415-8690.

As of June 1, 2018 there are new rules to protect workers, including changes to the Right to Refuse Dangerous Work. Find out more here.

If You Are Injured on the Job
The Alberta Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) handles claims related to workplace injuries and illnesses. If you are injured at work and require medical assistance or miss a day of work, the injury must be reported to the WCB. You can visit the WCB website to find out the steps you must take or contact them toll-free at 1-866-922-9221.
Employment Standards
Employment Standards can answer your questions about wages, vacation pay, holiday pay, hours of work, etc. Call the province-wide toll-free number at 1-877-427-3731 or find the office nearest you.

Harassment, Discrimination and Human Rights
The Alberta Human Rights Commission is the agency responsible for hearing and investigating complaints of discrimination based on the protected grounds of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, source of income and sexual orientation. If you have concerns about your human rights in the workplace, contact the Commission in Edmonton at 780-427-7661 or in Calgary at 403-297-6571. is an online outreach project for workers on employment rights.
Youth and the Law At Work
Legal Resources for Young Workers - The Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta's Legal FAQs website.
The Alberta Labour Relations Board is the provincial body that makes and enforces rules in unionized workplaces about union-management relations.

· Work Plays Schools Program
· Consultants for Change
· Stories Introduction
· Workus Stories
· Workus Digital Stories
· Resources Main
· Your Legal Rights
· Getting Help
· Researching Workplace Hazards
· Resources for Workplace Accommodations
· Teacher Resources
· Student / Young Worker Resources
· Additional Resources
· Best Practice Guidelines
· Modules
· Additional Tools and Resources
· New Alberta Workers
600, 12323 Stony Plain Road      Edmonton, Alberta      T5N 3Y5      Phone: (780) 486-9009      1-888-729-4879      Fax: (780) 483-7632      E-mail us
youtube email